Ecrion Software Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > XF Designer > Bugs and New Features
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XF-designer 2009 not compatible with 2008??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
superturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote superturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XF-designer 2009 not compatible with 2008??
    Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:00am
When I installed XF-Designer 6.1.1 I got some problems with the documents I've created in XF-designer 2008. Tables don't look the same in 2009 and much of the text inside the tables looks garbled. XF-Designer 2009 is also missing some useful features that 2008 had, such as cut & paste tables. 2009 is also way slower than 2008.

I also get some error messages when opening certain documents that didn't appear in XF-Designer 6.0.0 (2008).

Will these problems be fixed? When will the next stable version of XF-Designer be released, and will it be backwards compatible?
florinv View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote florinv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 11:59am
We are planing a small maintenance update next week to adress several issues regarding backwards compatibility with 2008. It will be a tremendous help if you can send your "heaviest" reports to support@ecrion.com !
It will help us a lot if we could test the new version with your templates before this release.

Temp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 5:56am
Can you write here in what release it will be fixed?
Will it be compatible with XFDesigner 2007 v5.x templates too? It is important because most of my templates were designed using 5.5.6.3.

Post Options Post Options   Quote superturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 6:13am
The latest version, v6.4.0, has much better backwards compability than the previous version. But there are still several issues that needs to fixed. For example, it's sometimes not possible to alter the size of a table made in designer 2008

There are also problems with tables when they span over to the next page inside a conditional section.
Temp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2009 at 1:21am
Can you give link to download 6.4.0?
There is still only link to 6.2.1 on the website.

Post Options Post Options   Quote superturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:51am

Ecrion support sent me that link before. It seems to be some kind of beta as some features from 2008 are not included and it still has some nasty bugs. But it also have some new features as well.

Compability with 2008 is better than the previous version, but it still might require some work to adapt the documents (espcially with the xslt fields that seem to mysteriously disappear sometimes). But of course compability depends on how 'complicated' documents you have. It clearly doesn't like big tables that's inside a huge conditional section, that's for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Quote superturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:54am

I just noticed that Ecrion have uploaded a new version in their download section:

v6.5.0 64bit

32bit
I'm off to try it out :)

Edited by superturbo - 19 May 2009 at 2:59am
Temp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:51pm

Great, thanks for info. I'll check 6.5.0 tomorrow. In my opinion last best compatible version was 6.0.0.1072. Maybe 6.5.0 will work better.

Temp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Temp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 12:53am
Hmm... 6.5.0.2244 seems still not to be full compatible with pre 6.x releases. I have some designs with table content messed if opened in 6.5.0.2244, biu it looks great in 6.0.0.1072.

Post Options Post Options   Quote superturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:36am
true it isn't, I also noticed this. The new features still have the same problems as the previous version. Tables sometimes become 'uneditable' and xslt code disappears. Another problem is that changes you make in the text-view is are not always saved when you try to preiview the document.

Some of the problems might happen because xf-designer 2008 inserts some 'bad' xslt code here and there which is not compatible with 2009.
 Post Reply Post Reply