FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inline Lists Separated by Commas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
justinw View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote justinw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inline Lists Separated by Commas
    Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 3:54pm
Q:  Is it possible, using the XF Designer, to portray a dynamic list inline?

A:  Yes, this certainly is possible.  A user can simply select "Inline Repeat" from the "Dynamic Content" group in the "Insert" tab.  This will insert a repeating inline component.  Then, the user must specify exactly which element they wish for this to repeat for by using the Edit Expression dialog that will display when selected.  Within the document, in Design View, there will be placeholder text for you to replace and insert the data of your choice to be output.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:  I want my list data to be separated by commas, but do not want there to be a comma after the last data point.  How can I accomplish this?  
For example, I don't want:  data, data1, data2,
But instead would desire:  data, data1, data2

A:  A user can use an inline condition within the inline repeat specified above.  The desired output field will be located within the inline repeat section.  Directly after this field, the user can insert an inline condition (located under the Insert tab - Dynamic Content - Inline Condition).  The user must then specify the condition to show this comma as long as it is not the last repeated data point.  To do so, set the condition to "position()!=last()" in the resulting Edit Expression dialog, and then within the inline condition in the Design View, insert a comma as the output value that will satisfy this condition.  The resulting output will reflect a list of data objects separated by commas, without a trailing comma.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:  What if I should want to end my list with a period instead of just leaving it blank?
Desired example:  data, data1, data2.

A:  Similar logic can be applied here.  When inserting an inline condition, there will be a default condition that relates to all tests that do not meet specified conditions.  Within this default section in the Design View, simply put a period character.  The condition "position()!=last()" will accommodate for all data that are not last, and the period will be displayed following the last data value.  

For more help on using Inline Repeat:

For more help on using Inline Conditions:

Edited by justinw - 28 Dec 2011 at 3:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply